Section 1 Introduction
What this Guide covers
This Guide sets out the legal requirements for charities preparing Receipts and Payments Accounts and having those accounts externally scrutinised.
It should be read in conjunction with A Guide to Charity Accounts Part 1: The Overview.
Who is this Guide for?
This Guide is for:
- charity trustees
- people working in or with charities
- independent examiners
- professionals who advise charities or who assist charities to prepare their accounts may wish to use this Guide as a tool to help their clients.
Some charities cannot prepare receipts and payments accounts, for example:
- charitable companies
- registered social landlords
- further and higher education institutions
- community benefit societies (CBS or Bencom).
For these charities the Guide will need to be read alongside the other legislation or regulations that are specific to them.
How to use the Guide
The Guide is split into sections to help you find the information most relevant to you and your charity.
Key terms are highlighted in bold purple type. Clicking on these terms will take you to either the charity law glossary on our website or to our specific accounting terms glossary.